POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Povray problem : Re: Povray problem Server Time
10 Aug 2024 17:28:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray problem
From: Bill DeWitt
Date: 15 Nov 1999 16:25:15
Message: <38307a3b@news.povray.org>
Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote :

> First time I have heard this one Bill. Can you be a little more specific
> about what is preventing you from running POV-Ray such as any warnings
> or behaviors you are witnessing ?

Well it just locks up and won't even let me use <ctrl+alt+del> to get out.

    The specifics are these: Although I have re-installed everything since
my recent hard-drive death, Povray was working almost properly since then. I
had a problem with the help file returning a error so I un-installed Povray,
deleted the directory and any reference to povray in the registry then
downloaded another copy of povwin3.exe from povray.org and installed it. It
seemed to work fine except that the help file was -still- giving me an error
and not working properly( giving an error on every turn of the page and not
allowing me to use the content or search buttons).

    I have not installed any other software, nor made any changes in the
setup since testing this install. I have done scandisk and defrag since
then, but I am pretty sure that this is all.

    Suddenly, as of yesterday, if I turn off my computer and turn it back
on, I can't get povray to run. The wait cursor comes on and locks in place.
I have to power down to reboot. If I uninstall povray and reinstall it, I
can use it until I turn off my computer.

    Oddly enough, I just noticed that my help file is now working.

    Other than that I don't seem to have any problems with the computer. I
have Norton antivirus and have just done an update and scanned all files.

    It seems odd to me, which is why I ask. As far as I can tell, there are
no clues as to why this is happening.